A Growing Number of People Are Having Blepharoplasty, an Eyelid Lifting Procedure—But Is It Safe?
Your eyes convey so much meaning even when we do not speak a word. Definitely, when it comes to nonverbal communication, the eyes speak plenty. Making direct eye contact is a great way to show that you are invested, sincere, and confident.
It shows that you are paying attention and care about what the other person is saying. Emotions as diverse as surprise, curiosity, skepticism, and concern can be communicated through the subtle shifts and positions of the eyebrows.
However, they can also show our stress levels and the quality of our sleep from the previous night.
Whenever I give consultations to patients, people say, Doctor, “my eyes look very tired” and “I feel my eyes look very aged“. And this is a very interesting and common question from the patient.
Perhaps this explains why blepharoplasty—also known as an eyelid lift—is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries in India.
Let us also examine some realities.
- The global cumulative count of eyelid surgeries conducted in 2022 amounts to 1,409,103.
- where 1,096,152 eyelid procedures were performed on women and 312,950 were performed on men.
- Furthermore, 30,067 eyelid surgeries will be conducted in India in 2022.
Dr. Chugh, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in India, says that the typical age of a blepharoplasty patient is in the middle of their forties and fifties. However, he has noticed an increase in the number of patients in their thirties who are interested in a permanent and preventative alternative to liquid brow lifts.
What is Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty, which is also referred to as eyelid surgery or an eyelid lift, is a cosmetic procedure performed to enhance the appearance of the eyes by removing superfluous skin, fat, or muscle from the eyelids.
There are two main types of blepharoplasties: one is for the lower eyelid and one is for the upper eyelid. Even though the goals and recovery times are quite similar, the techniques used are very different for the two surgeries. However, many people choose to have both operations at the same time.
Although it is generally regarded as safe when performed by a qualified and experienced board certified plastic surgeon, there are risks and complications associated with it, as with any surgical procedure.
When thinking about how safe blepharoplasty is, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Qualified Surgeon: It is of the utmost importance to choose a plastic surgeon who is board-certified and has expertise in eyelid surgery. The dangers of the treatment can be reduced with the assistance of a competent and knowledgeable surgeon.
- Good Medical Health: It is important for patients to be in good enough health to have a comprehensive medical evaluation and his or her patient history before having blepharoplasty. Pre-existing health conditions, medications, and lifestyle choices can all have an impact on the safety of the surgery.
- Realistic Expectations: Blepharoplasty patients should have realistic expectations regarding the procedure’s outcomes. Although the surgery can make your eyes look better, it won’t change the way your eyes look or reverse the effects of age.
- Potential Risks and Complications: Lower and upper blepharoplasties are both performed by an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and are widely regarded as one of the safest cosmetic procedures. Although physical complications, such as visual acuity or dry eye, are typically transient, they may persist permanently in an exceptional patient.
- Recovery Period: For a good recovery, it is essential to understand and adhere to the postoperative care instructions. Blepharoplasty often causes swelling and bruising; patients should allow enough time for these side effects to subside.
- Long-term Results: The long-term sustainability of blepharoplasty is compromised with the progression of aging. Although it may prolong the effects of achieving a more youthful appearance, lifestyle choices including smoking, solar exposure, and general well-being can have an impact.
Eyelid Surgery – Result Before-and-After photos
Anyone thinking about getting blepharoplasty should do their homework, talk to a good surgeon, and base their decision on their own health, expectations, and aspirations.