Breast fat transfer: Things You Should Know
Breast fat transfer
- Also known as breast fat grafting and to enhance the breast size naturally.
- Can be combined with breast implants.
- Right candidate: Smaller than desired full breasts, Shrinkage of the breast tissue after pregnancy and breastfeeding, Asymmetric breasts, looking for natural subtle changes in breast size.
- Safe surgical procedure to take out fat from unwanted region and put it in breast.
- Natural results but fat is absorbed with time, therefore volume loss after sometime.
- Important to follow safety protocol and done under general anaesthesia.
- Might require redo surgery in cases where there is significant absorption of fat.
- No scars, tiny incisions that fade away.
- Breast fat grafting is done by most plastic surgeon but important to choose well trained surgeon exclusively in breast surgery for best results.
- Can return to light work in two days but takes up to a week for full resumption. Several weeks for the final recovery.
- Initial recovery can last for up to one week. Long-term recovery can last several weeks or more.
- Follow-up is required to monitor the progress and assess breast for any complications like hematoma, infection, irregularity.
- Breast augmentation using fat costs 1 lakh -1.7 lakh rupees/ 1400USD- 2350 USD.
- Costs vary with amount of fat implanted/ any additional procedure.
- Breast fat grafting being an elective cosmetic surgery is not covered under any insurance.
- Fat is usually absorbed up to 30% by year end.
- Around 50-70% transferred fat stays in breast over lifetime.
- Redo surgery can be required in cases where there is significant absorption of fat or assymetry.
- Avoid blood thinner medication including herbal medicines before surgery.
- No excess pressure on breast for two weeks.
- Credentials of surgeon
- Stop smoking
Questions to ask
- Are you a certified plastic and cosmetic surgeon?
- Can I see the results of previous patients?
- How will be the recovery?
- When should I come up for follow up appointments?
Breast fat grafting is a specialized procedure which is customized according to the patient needs. Dr. Anmol Chugh is leading plastic and cosmetic surgeon based in Delhi-NCR with an extensive experience of breast fat grafting and other breast procedures. He is internationally renowned speaker on fat grafting having delivered talks on his research on fat grafting worldwide.