CORONAVIRUS & HAIR LOSS
The Rising Number
Worldwide numbers of coronavirus are staggering. As of 8th August, 2020, the total number of cases have surpassed 19 million and India with 2 million people infected, the numbers are rising day by day. Covid- 19 patients has come up with various symptoms but the recent trend of increase in hair loss even after recovery in the patients is alarming.
Stress and Hair loss
Stress has been known to accelerate hair loss in both men and women. Covid 19 has brought with itself not only physical but mental health issues. Loss of jobs, rising uncertainties and decrease in outdoor activities have added to the stress thus leading to increase in symptoms like hair loss.
Telogen effluvium is the technical term used for stress induced hair loss. It can lead lossof hair from any part of body but usually affects the scalp. Hair loss due tothis condition is reversible but can take upto 6 months to ayear.
Also other factors can contribute to hair loss like deficiencies of important micronutrients, vitamins or a thyroid disorder.
What to do about Hair loss in Covid times?
Although there is an uncertainity about the vaccine and how will it affect the lives of millions around the world. There some things that can be taken care of and help reduce the hair loss.
- Mental health – Yoga, dancing, exercise can be good for hair too. Healthy lifestyle helps in regulating the hair cycle.
- Right Diet – Fortifying your diet with healthy food helps to retain and have strong hair.
- Fenugreek seeds: Methidana or fenugreek is rich in Vitamin E. Soak the seeds overnight in water and have the strained water in the morning to have healthy hair.
- Eggs: They are great source of protein and biotin. Eggs in any form being boiled, poached or scrambled can help hair grow.
- Jamun: The gold old indian food is rich in antioxidants and thus helps in improving the scalp hair grow.
- Spinach: It is rich in Iron, Biotin and other micronutrients that aids in hair growth.
- Fatty Fish: Fish like salmon are rich in omega 3 fatty acids and also Vitamin A. They are not only good for your heart but also hair.
- Multivitamins – To incorporate a multivitamin rich in Biotin, Zinc and other micronutrients like iron in your daily routine can ward off the deficient dietary habits.
- Minoxidil – It is a medical prescription drug in the form of gel/foam to be applied daily. It increases the blood circulation in scalp and thus helps in nourishment of hair.
- – Few sessions of Platelet Rich plasma that has growth factors from your blood can help hair grow,
Although these are testing times but it is important to stay positive. Support of family and friends coupled with the mentioned tips can help you in stopping the hair loss during the covid times.